Wednesday, February 01, 2017

SCOTUS hope


Aside from the expected and tediously toe-the-line hard-right bona fides regarding big-business interests, pro-life absolutists and religious "liberty" whiners that he has amassed in his short 49 years, I don't totally loathe the political extremes of Trump SCOTUS nominee Neil Gorsuch the way I did those of Antonin Scalia. Don't get me wrong; I'm not going to gay-marry Gorsuch -- and, to be fair, my initial research has revealed only cursory instead of virulent LGBT hostility on his part -- but I'm going to give myself some time to hear more of what he has to say before I condemn the Republican softballing of his confirmation hearings and resign myself to the inevitability of his SCOTUS appointment.
I'm concerned about Gorsuch's penchant for concentrating power in the high courts, which are immune from elections, and his textualist approach to the Constitution, which in my estimation cloaks easily biased historical speculation under an impossible-to-substantiate assertion of historical objectivism. But again, these are just more of his predictable hardline bona fides -- and he is on record as having cried over the death of hardline patron saint Scalia -- so none of this is terribly surprising.
Maybe I'm missing something, but I've done slightly more than a little bit of research on Gorsuch since his nomination was announced today and while he's cookie-cutter predictable as a republican SCOTUS nominee, he's still not among the intellectual and moral trainwrecks Trump's barfed up with his appalling federal nominations like Betsy DeVos and Jeff Sessions and -- holy fucking shit -- Steve Bannon.
So I'll try to be as impartial as possible in wherever our Gorsuch discovery process takes us in the coming days. Which I never thought I'd say about ANY Trump nomination.
Besides, Donald Trump shouldn't be making SCOTUS nominations in the last few months of his presidency anyway.

No comments: