Friday, January 30, 2004

So I got this great idea today to google my blog's URL. Nothing. But when I googled people who have linked to my blog's URL, I got two results: Mark's blog and this guy's blog.

I've been writing this thing for about six months, and I've been doing it for many reasons: my own amusement, the discipline of writing something succinct and (one would hope) clever on an almost-daily basis, the narcissism of keeping a diary that anyone can read, an organized database to draw on when it comes time to write my epic four-page, single-spaced Christmas letter, the opportunity to write about stuff I care about more than what I have to cover 50-60 hours a week at work, and even to establish one place to put the funny/interesting Web links I stumble across.

Whew. Rambling, awkward sentences notwithstanding, it's also a good way to show the world my writing skills. But since blogger doesn't offer me a hit counter -- and since not one stranger has clicked the Write Me link to say hi -- I have no way of knowing if the world is even reading it (except for my friends who randomly comment on stuff I post here).

So I have to say it was TOTALLY COOL to find out that a total stranger (note that as far as I can tell, that's still just one total stranger) has not only linked my blog to his, but that he states unequivocally that he actually reads it.

Woo-hoo! I'm somebody!

No comments: