Saturday, May 08, 2004

Hsueh Day Fun!
(Say "Shay Day")

Yesterday was Hsueh's birthday, and about three lanesfull of us helped her celebrate at the new 10pin in the House of Blues Hotel. In typical fashion, my bowling started pretty impressively and got steadily worse as the night wore on. We bowled three games (rounds? innings?), and I went from finishing second in the second game/round/inning to finishing second from the other end in the third. ACK!

But I do want to take this opportunity to thank Mrs. Hutchinson, my grade-school gym teacher, for showing me the proper bowling choreography when I was in the fifth or sixth grade. Thanks to her skillful instruction, to this day what I lack in downed pins whenever I go bowling, I more than make up for in form.

As for the much-ballyhooed 10pin, I'm not too impressed. The decor is cool but not quite cool enough, the food we had was fair to middlin' and the automatic scoring machines failed to notice about every third ball we sent hurling down the lanes, so it required endless resetting. But there are HUGE big-screen TVs playing over the pins, and I bowled my first two games/rounds/innings right into the cartoon set of The King and I. (Come to think of it, my scores dropped precipitously as soon as the show tunes ended. Coincidence?)

No comments: