Saturday, August 09, 2003

Bounce!

It's midnight and I just got back from a fun evening with Dan. We met after work at my gym and lifted together. (We followed his Body for Life workout, which shook up what my body was used to and generally KICKED MY ASS.) Then after a better-than-mediocre French dinner at Brasserie Jo, we caught Sondheim's latest musical, "Bounce," which is in previews here before it winds around the country on its way to Broadway.

The show, which is generally lacking Sondheim's trademark verbal and musical sheen, is nice -- but I don't predict it's going to haul home any awards. It got its best reactions from our audience over the gratuitously clever set design (like a wedding altar that opens up to be a wedding bed). And while Richard Kind owns the show, the rest of the cast looks a trifle embarrassed to be in it. And rightfully so. The show isn't horrible, but I had expected a lot more from its creators. And when in my life will I get to see another brand-spanking-new Sondheim musical?

Now it's off to bed so I can wake up early and run 8 or 9 (if I'm feeling ambitious) miles before the Market Days festivities.

No comments: