Monday, August 28, 2017

#YouWillBeFound

I try to maintain a pretty strict policy of not listening to the cast album or reading the plot or knowing anything else about a show so I can enjoy it tabula rasa the first time I see it. I even try to audition for shows under that policy -- having zero clue what I'm doing, basically -- so I can enjoy them fresh when I see them if I don't get cast. Which is why the witness testimony from the Fun Home Audition Massacre of 2017 has been sealed by a federal judge until 50 years after my death.

In any case, I recently read a New York Times profile of Ben Platt, the star of Dear Even Hansen, and without warning it pretty much blurted out the entire plot of the show without even a hint of a spoiler alert. So since I know it and since there's no chance I'm going to see it anytime soon, I'm relenting and listening to the cast album now in violation of the natural order of the universe. And so far I find it kind of ... meh -- and very redundant in the way every song by The Police sounds the same. But I'll give it a few listens. Then I'll very hopefully be able to make sincere "Waving Through a Window" references so I'm legitimately caught up with the modern landmarks of Broadway.

No comments: