Tuesday, June 15, 2004

The celebrity curse: Day One

My first full day of being a celebrity is winding down ... and let me tell you, it's been EXHAUSTING. The press tours! The autograph hounds! The paparazzi!

Actually, the magazine hit Chicago-area mailboxes on Saturday -- so I've really been a celebrity for three full days. I just didn't know it. So I've decided to measure the demands of my celebrityhood from the moment someone thrust the magazine in my face at Monday morning's staff meeting to show me the grotesque photo and misleading profile that have my name on them.

Here's how it's shaken down so far:

WORK
People I encountered:
I think we have about 200 employees
People who've made comments: About all of them -- but that's only because of the office gossip network

THE GYM
People I encountered:
Not too many -- maybe 20
People checking out my famous ass in the shower: None

THE TRAIN HOME
People I encountered:
I was able to get a seat, so maybe about 50
People who fought to sit by me and cop a feel: None

SUPERCUTS
People I encountered:
10
People demanding haircuts inspired by my famous mane: None

THE LAKEFRONT TRAIL
People I encountered:
Tons, but I was too busy focusing on getting in four miles before the sun went down to count
People hiding in the bushes and snapping photos of me to sell to the Sun-Times: None

SIDETRACK
People I encountered:
A whole bunch -- it was show tune night, you know
People staring hungrily at me as they sang "One (Singular Sensation)": None

MY BEDROOM
People I encountered:
Just me
Supermodels showing up at my door in nothing but towels, demanding that I kiss them: None

THE 147 MORNING BUS
People I encountered:
Standing room only
People craning their necks to see exactly what a glamorous celebrity listens to on his iPod: None

CALIFORNIA PIZZA KITCHEN
People I encountered:
The place was about half full
People walking by our booth and stealing surreptitious glances as they basked in my celebrity glow: None

MY INBOX
People able to reach me via the email address the magazine set up for me:
Infinite
People who've crafted seductive e-poems in celebration of my shining famousness: None

As you can see, I've developed a true empathy for my fellow celebrities today. Keeping up with the constant demands for my attention -- not to mention keeping myself photo-shoot pretty at all times -- can really take its toll. I don't know how Julia Roberts and Gilbert Gottfried do it.

I'll be back tomorrow with more tales from the front. In the mean time, duck if you see me. The crowds can be vicious.

3 comments:

Will said...

But you will, of course, remain the same sweet, simple, unaffected guy you've always been.

Anonymous said...

If you feel the need to escape from the limelight, feel free to come to NYC. We're very jaded about celebs here. You'll blend right in. No hassles, no papparazzi, no stalkers.
Arno

Anonymous said...

Oh my god, Gilbert Gottfried???? Where????? He's sooooo dreamy.......