Friday, April 02, 2004

So R. and I finally had our date last night -- and we had a blast! He brought over his DVD of the ultra-cheesy, poorly choreographed (and even more poorly danced) but nonetheless fabulous Les Demoiselles de Rochefort.

The biggest source of fun for me was the casting of a very clumsy Catherine Deneuve as a dance instructor struggling to look graceful with no dance training and a 500 lb. wig throwing off her center of gravity. Then there's the whole Gene-Kelly-watching-his-glorious-dance-career-slide-down-the-toilet factor -- a whole decade before the final Xanadu flush. But the costumes and candy-colored cinematography are fabulous. And George Chakiris' ass looks great in his tight 1967 pants.

Best of all, it's in French with English subtitles -- which helped me immeasurably in my budding command of the language. (It also helped that R. was right there next to me to help me with my conjugations -- if you know what I mean.)

No comments: