Saturday, July 30, 2005

All grown up

For the last five years, I 've had a flimsy (yet handsome) card table in my dining room:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

And why did I live with such ghetto furniture for so long? It's not that I'm cheap (well, not totally cheap)—it's just that my dining room is small, which limits my selection, and I never really found anything I liked enough to make a commitment.

But that all changed this morning. Last weekend I stumbled on a great dining room set with all the criteria I was looking for: no bigger than 42", round with a leaf so I have room to host emergency state dinners, sturdy ... and not terribly expensive, since I don't plan to live in this shoebox much longer. And it was delivered this morning (soon after I finished my first 13-mile run of the summer, he added parenthetically in a burst of shameless self-promotion):
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I'm not WILD about the look (all those horizontal slats = way too much dusting), but it's fine for now. And the blond finish seems to fit in with the cacophany of other wood finishes in my dining room.

And finally, at 37 years old, I'm gonna be able to sit at the grown-ups table. Yay for me!

No comments: