Sunday, April 01, 2007

Got your tickets yet?

Broadway show tunes. Hollywood musicals. Chicago homosexuals.

It’s all about to converge on one stage in Sidetrack V: Sidetrack With a Twist.


For those of you not familiar with this Boystown institution, Sidetrack is a giant video bar that plays clips from movie musicals, Tony Awards broadcasts and every other possible source of high-kicking show tunes every Sunday and Monday night. The show tunes have a MASSIVE following—people even bring props and shout things together at the screens (“Oh my god! She’s wearing my hat!” “No Rep!” “She’s a lesbian!” I guess you have to be there to find these funny) … when they’re not singing along in 10-part harmony, that is.

Sidetrack V: Sidetrack With a Twist is the Chicago Gay Men's Chorus’ fifth tribute to the Sidetrack show-tune experience. We re-create the most popular videos live on stage as closely as possible—unless we totally rip the videos apart and interpret them our own twisted way.

Some of the numbers we’ll be tackling this year:
“And I am Telling You” from Dreamgirls
“Favorite Son” from The Will Rogers Follies
“My Body” from The Life
“Defying Gravity” from Wicked
“Brotherhood of Man” from How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying

And the two I’m kind of featured in:
“Forget About the Boy” from Thoroughly Modern Millie (I’m a background tapper)
“Cell Block Tango” from Chicago (I’m Velma Kelly, resplendent in bustier and wicked black heels)

Though the show will be packed with inside jokes for people who have seen the original clips, it’s still great entertainment for everyone. Even if you’ve never seen a show tune in your life (a thought I find relatively disturbing), you’ll have a blast at our show. I promise.

Tickets are already on sale, so order yours now to make sure you get the best view of me in my angry-prison-chick drag. And this is the last opportunity you'll have see me in the chorus for a while; I'm taking the next show (and maybe more) off so I can spend some time with my boyfriend and work on our condo. And the heels are going deep in storage after the final curtain.

Performances:
Friday, April 20, 8:00 pm
Saturday, April 21, 5:00 pm
Saturday, April 21, 8:30 pm
The Athenaeum Theatre, 2936 N. Southport

My birthday:
Wednesday, April 18, all day

Tickets are available here:
Ticketbastard
312-902-1500
The Athenaeum Theater Box Office (call 773-935-6860 for hours)

Other headlines I wanted to use in this post:
Gay men. Show tunes. Repeat.
Five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred show tunes

No comments: